Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Nature of Saving Faith

- William Guthrie, 1658

A godly man may argue thus, Whosoever receive Christ are justly reputed the children of God - "But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God" (John 1:12); but I have received Christ in all the ways which the word there can import: for I am pleased with the device of salvation by Christ, I agree to the terms, I welcome the offer of Christ in all His offices, as a King to rule over me, a Priest to offer sacrifice and intercede for me, a Prophet to teach me; I lay out my heart for Him and towards Him, resting on Him as I am able. What else can be meant by the word RECEIVING?

The second great mark of a gracious state, and true saving interest in Jesus Christ, is the new creature - "If any man be in Christ, he is a new creature." (2 Cor. 5:1)...In all who do warrantably pretend to Christ, this new creature must be... This new creature is called the "new man" (Col. 3:10)), which points out the extent of it. It is not simply a new tongue or new hand, but a new man. There is a principle of new life and motion put in the man, which is the new heart; which new principle of life sendest for the acts of life, or of "conformity to the image" of him who created it, so that party is renewed in some measure of every way (Col. 3:10).