Thursday, February 15, 2007

How Long, Oh Lord?

While I appreciate the divergent eschatological images that may be evoked by referencing Revelation 6:10, the cry itself is both timeless and timely.

How long will the Lord tarry? How long will He restrain His righteous judgments as the heathen rage? How long will the ravening wolves in sheep's clothing be permitted to rend Christ's little flock?

I'm comforted to know that I'm not alone in my cry, "How long, oh Lord?!?"

"How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?" (Rev. 6:10)

"Thus saith the LORD God of the Hebrews, How long wilt thou refuse to humble thyself before me?" (Exodus 10:3)

"And the LORD said unto Moses, How long will this people provoke me? and how long will it be ere they believe me, for all the signs which I have shewed among them?" (Numbers 14:11)

"How long shall I bear with this evil congregation, which murmur against me?" (Numbers 14:27)

"And Elijah came unto all the people, and said, How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow him: but if Baal, then follow him. And the people answered him not a word." (1 Kings 18:21)

"O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing?" (Psalm 4:2)

"O God, how long shall the adversary reproach? shall the enemy blaspheme thy name for ever?" (Psalm 74:10)

"LORD, how long shall the wicked, how long shall the wicked triumph? How long shall they utter and speak hard things? and all the workers of iniquity boast themselves?" (Psalm 94:3-4)

"How long shall this be in the heart of the prophets that prophesy lies? yea, they are prophets of the deceit of their own heart;" (Jeremiah 23:26)

"My soul is also sore vexed: but thou, O LORD, how long?" (Psalm 6:3)

And while it may often seem in the natural that the tide is turning against the faithful remnant of God we are reminded that our omniscient, omnipotent and omnibenevolent Creator and Judge is fully sovereign and seated upon His throne!

"I saw also the LORD sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple. Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly. And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory. And the posts of the door moved at the voice of him that cried, and the house was filled with smoke. Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts." (Isaiah 6:1-5)

Let us be mindful that it is not by our power or might that we struggle against the principalities and spiritual wickedness in high places, but rather it's by clinging to the infallible Word of God and trusting that the battle is the Lord's!

Even so, come, Lord Jesus!