Saturday, February 17, 2007

Billy Graham's Apostasy

It's saddens me to see the man who I once knew as "America's Preacher" turn his back on the The Lord of Glory. And while we can rest assured that men will always disappoint us, I'm nonetheless filled with righteous indignation that the dog has not only returned to his vomit, but through his influence he's caused countless others to commit grave error due to his example of rank apostasy.

Billy Graham has led an entire generation of pastor-teachers down the slippery slope of doctrinal error. His spiritual adultery with the likes of anti-Reformer Robert Schueller is well documented and irrefutable.

This article from WND is but one example of the clear and established pattern of compromise of Billy Graham. Graham's words in the linked article are eerily similar to the non-position taken by word-faith heretic Joel Osteen when he was quizzed about whether or not non-Christians can go to heaven on "Larry King Live":

KING: Because we've had ministers on who said, your record don't count. You either believe in Christ or you don't. If you believe in Christ, you are, you are going to heaven. And if you don't no matter what you've done in your life, you ain't.

OSTEEN: Yeah, I don't know. There's probably a balance between. I believe you have to know Christ. But I think that if you know Christ, if you're a believer in God, you're going to have some good works. I think it's a cop-out to say I'm a Christian but I don't ever do anything ...

KING: What if you're Jewish or Muslim, you don't accept Christ at all?

OSTEEN: You know, I'm very careful about saying who would and wouldn't go to heaven. I don't know ...

KING: If you believe you have to believe in Christ? They're wrong, aren't they?

OSTEEN: Well, I don't know if I believe they're wrong. I believe here's what the Bible teaches and from the Christian faith this is what I believe. But I just think that only God with judge a person's heart. I spent a lot of time in India with my father. I don't know all about their religion. But I know they love God. And I don't know. I've seen their sincerity. So I don't know. I know for me, and what the Bible teaches, I want to have a relationship with Jesus.


Unbelievable! A supposedly Christian pastor squirming in his seat and giving non-answers when quizzed about who is going to heaven! A child who's paid any attention whatsoever during Sunday School could answer this simple and direct question! Was this not an opportunity to share the Gospel message? Is Osteen not a messenger of the Gospel of Jesus Christ? Read the transcript again and decide for yourself.

The truth is Joel Osteen is an apostate heretic. We can see this clearly because in the singular moment that "Smilin' Joel" had in which to decide if he should risk the vaporization his fawning media coverage and the obliteration his "seeker friendly" status by proclaiming the exclusive and narrow way of Christ, he chose his father the devil and the praise of men instead of the Lord of Glory. Joel Osteen is a friend of the world, and we know from Scripture that whosoever is friends with the world is at enmity with God Almighty.

Based upon these same types of evidence we must also discern that Billy Graham is an enemy of God who has forsaken his first love. Unfortunately he is so iconic within the modern professing church that many would prefer to turn a blind eye to his error than expose it, and this is perhaps the gravest disservice of all. For we who are born-again believers in Jesus Christ are to exhort and correct our fellow believers, not enable them in the error of their ways. But since the body of Christ has become derelict in its duty and left the fool to his folly we find that Billy Graham's apostasy is older than you think.