Wednesday, April 16, 2008

An Indictment of Western Christianity

How many Christians do you know who could say, "The lifestyle I have chosen as a Christian would be utterly foolish and pitiable if there is no resurrection"? How many Christians are there who could say, "The suffering I have freely chosen to embrace for Christ would be a pitiable life if there is no resurrection"? As I see it these are shocking questions. - John Piper

If in this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are of all people most to be pitied (1 Cor. 15:19)

Whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ...I share his sufferings...that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection of the dead. (Philippians 3:7-8, 10-11)