Friday, November 2, 2007

Revelations and Vain Imaginings

I suppose that perhaps no man is above vain imaginings now and again, and as such I've decided to share one of my dearest with the tiny readership of this humble blog.

Oh, that I could have the singularly delicious enjoyment of seeing with my own eyes and hearing with my own ears Charles Haddon Spurgeon laying this Spiritual Smackdown on the likes of Benny Hinn, Paul Crouch, Jesse Duplantis, Erwin McManus, Rick Warren, Bill Hybels, Brian McLaren, Doug Pagitt, Creflo Dollar, T.D. Jakes, Juanita Bynum, Paula White, Joel Osteen, and the myriad other false prophets of the modern day lukewarm Laodiciean false professing church!

I have no doubt that the delicate, effeminate, men-in-skirts spiritual sissies of the ecumenical emergent/seeker sensitive/purpose driven/word faith movements would fall all over themselves in a fit of self-righteous anguish to hear someone speaking such rough words to them! Oh, how surely would they develop a mass case of "the vapors" and need to lie down on their fainting couches in order to catch their collective breath before they indignantly began to engage in their little man-centered pity parties!

"That Charles Spurgeon is so mean!" they would howl! "He's a watch-doggie and he idolizes the Bible!" they would squeal! And those would be the articulate responses that somehow managed to avoid the gratuitous use of four letter obscenities and calls for his summary execution.

I now encourage you to read the Spurgeon excerpt below while imagining that the "Prince of Preachers" is speaking directly to the emergent/seeker sensitive/purpose driven/word faith apostate of your choosing!

Spurgeon, "THE PARACLETE" No. 1074. John 14:16
Take care never to impute the vain imaginings of your fancy to the Holy Spirit. I have seen the Spirit of God shamefully dishonored by people -- I hope they were insane -- who have said that they have had this and that revealed to them.

There has not for some years passed over my head a single week in which I have not been pestered with the 'revelations' of hypocrites or maniacs. Semi-lunatics are very fond of coming with messages from the Lord to me, and it may save them some trouble if I tell them once for all that I will have none of their stupid messages. When my Lord and Master has any message to me he knows where I am, and he will send it to me direct, and not by madmen.

Never dream that events are revealed to you by heaven, or you may come to be like those idiots who dare impute their blatant follies to the Holy Spirit. If you feel your tongue itch to talk nonsense, trace it to the devil, not to the Spirit of God.

Whatever is to be revealed by the Spirit to any of us is in the word of God already -- he adds nothing to the Bible, and never will. Let persons who have revelations of this, that, and the other, go to bed and wakeup in their senses. I only wish they would follow the advice, and no longer insult the Holy Spirit by laying their nonsense at his door.